ADVOCACY FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSINGAffordable Housing is critical for the wellbeing of women and their families.
Average monthly rent in the Mission– 2015.
Salary needed to pay average monthly rent (assume 1/3 of income to rent).
Median SF home price – 2015.
We believe that by taking an active role in anti-displacement and affordable housing activism, we are supporting these vulnerable-yet-valuable community members’ choice to live in San Francisco, and to keep their voices and creativity as part of our City’s larger feminist/progressive movement.
Currently The Women’s Building is Working to
- Educate our clients, volunteers, staff, and the community on housing issues
- Participate in community actions and campaigns
- Support community efforts to stop luxury developments in the Mission District
- Support community efforts to maintain and create more affordable housing
- Provide meeting and coalition-building space for organizations working on issues of displacement